Monday, July 30, 2012

Paperwork, OFA, and People We Love Who Have a Passion for Adoption


Those of you who are familiar with adoption understand the amount of paperwork that comes with this process. I had been warned, but not sure that I truly understood. Now I do....

As I am getting paperwork going, I want to make sure that you are all included in the details of what is happening. These first few posts were typed quickly to catch everyone up to where we are now. Please excuse any mistakes. I will figure this out more and more as I figure out the blogging world.

On April 7th, we were blessed enough to be accepted by an amazing attorney named Jilma. She is an amazing woman with a heart for Africa. She helps family adopt in her "spare" time. Many ask, but not everyone gets to work with her. This was an open door and an answer to prayer!

On April 12th, we met with some friends from The Pursuit who are considering adding to their family through adoption. It was incredible to have the opportunity to chat with them and "bump" into an adoptive family from The Pursuit at Q'doba. They shared wisdom with us as we were finishing our lunch.

On April 14th, the Rutland family blessed us with a yummy dinner and an even more amazing time of encouragement and wisdom. Kim and Jeff adopted 2 from Africa this past year, and their hearts are huge enough to adopt an additional 14 kids, but instead they are focusing their time and energy in helping others with their paperwork to adopt. Including me! I have NO idea where I would be right now without Kim. She is a pro and helps me keep my sanity through the stacks of paperwork. BLESSED by the Rutlands!

The Herdegens are another Pursuit family who have a passion for adoption. The experience and wisdom that we were given on the 5th of May gave us even more confidence as we move forward in this journey. Tarah's huge heart and even bigger amount of humor is going to be a source of sanity in the future, I am SURE of it! She just sent me a facebook post that I am sure I will re-post in the near future. She is a wealth of wisdom!!! If you are considering adoption, reach out to others that have gone before you. They are amazing at giving you a great reality check!

On May 9th, I got to have lunch with a sweet new friend, Allison who adopted 2 from Ethiopia growing her clan to 5 amazing kids! I loved sitting with her and hearing her story. She was SO real with me and imparted incredible amounts of reality. She did NOT try to sugar coat things just shared her heart.

On the 10th of May we did our online orientation webinar, and on the 12th of May we attended our Adoption training class through A New Beginnning.

No comments:

Post a Comment